Sunday, March 9, 2014

Chicken Curry and Rice... and my best yet Na'an!



Every now and again I get a bit of a taste for some curry. Usually I will whip this up on a school night and skip the extra task of making fresh garlic na'an. Since I found the most perfect homemade garlic na'an recipe I have ever tried... I made it again the next week. Cause I had that tell tale deep hankerin' for some perfect garlic na'an... and I knew that nothing else was going to get that job done.


Chicken Curry
serves 6-8

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil 
1 onion diced
2 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup plain yogurt 
1 lb chicken, deboned and cubed. left over is fine too.
1 cup sweet green peas
1 small potato rinsed, and diced to pea size and par boiled 5 minutes
1 can chickpeas, rinsed well
1 tsp salt
another 1/2 cup yogurt

Method:
If using raw chicken, cook this few extra Tbsp of olive oil ahead and set this aside. Saute` the onions with the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once they are quite soft add the spices. They will probably absorb any oil left in the pan... this is okay just stir well to fully combine and let the heat roast the spices for a few minutes. Then with a fork or whisk, add yogurt and stir well. Add the chicken to the skillet along with the peas, diced par-boiled potatoes, and rinsed chickpeas. Stir to coat all ingredients with the sauce. Add the rest of the yogurt and salt to taste. If you want more sauce add more yogurt. I like to serve my curry with extra long grain basmati rice from India and some fresh garlic na'an following this recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment